Author Topic: SlingBox and Chromecast  (Read 348 times)

Offline jdaniele

• Administrator
    • View Profile
SlingBox and Chromecast
« on: October 04, 2017, 09:47:16 AM »
I've been hearing a few including myself are having issues with casting Slingbox from smart devices to the Chromecast.  Biggest issue is signal strength but the Slingbox app also needs to be triggered so we've found killing all apps and opening it again does help.  Also starting screen mirroring then attempting the cast Slingbox app (switching from screen mirroring to just app) is pretty effective.  This is a well known issue and Slingbox has yet to comment or provide a solution.
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein

Offline jdaniele

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: SlingBox and Chromecast
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2017, 10:28:50 PM »
So it seems that Sling Media discontinues their public "community" section on 9/30/2017 and suggested to continue the discussion on Facebook....
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein

Offline andyassur

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • andrewiassur.ddns.net
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2017, 08:42:25 AM »
google and amazon on at it again.
i d k if you know the back story on why amazon doesnt sell chromecasts or google home speaker?
google doesnt allow amazon's streaming service on the chromecast so amazon stopped selling them. now goolge in retaliation is blocking youtube on amazon's fire sticks.
Thirty spokes are joined in the wheel's hub.
The hole in the middle makes it useful.

...the value comes from what is there,
But the use comes from what is not there.

-Tao Te Ching  chapter 11

Offline jdaniele

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2017, 03:54:35 PM »
i d k if you know the back story on why amazon doesnt sell chromecasts or google home speaker?
google doesnt allow amazon's streaming service on the chromecast so amazon stopped selling them. now goolge in retaliation is blocking youtube on amazon's fire sticks.
Hahaha I guess I shouldn't be surprised. Just might piss off the consumer but I don't really use Amazon that much at all. Maybe once a year I'll buy a random item from Amazon or Ebay.

Offline andyassur

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • andrewiassur.ddns.net
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2017, 01:54:09 PM »
Hahaha I guess I shouldn't be surprised. Just might piss off the consumer but I don't really use Amazon that much at all. Maybe once a year I'll buy a random item from Amazon or Ebay.

i use amazon all the time. i'm trying to migrate away from google. started useing duckduckgo.com and protonmail.com still heavily use my gmail account

Offline jdaniele

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2017, 05:58:57 AM »
i use amazon all the time. i'm trying to migrate away from google. started useing duckduckgo.com and protonmail.com still heavily use my gmail account
Why not use Google?

Offline andyassur

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • andrewiassur.ddns.net
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2017, 10:31:08 AM »
Why not use Google?
i'm sick of all the data mining. i uninstalled facebook from my phone. they want access to my microphone. why? i also needed space on my phone facebook takes up over 200megs

Offline jdaniele

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2017, 04:39:38 PM »
Why not use Google?
i'm sick of all the data mining. i uninstalled facebook from my phone. they want access to my microphone. why? i also needed space on my phone facebook takes up over 200megs
If you have Android 7 (Marshmallow) it lets you block individual services. I actually trust this version of Android because of the amount of control you have. You can easily disable/enable access to the microphone as you wish.

Offline andyassur

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • andrewiassur.ddns.net
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2017, 08:10:54 PM »
Why not use Google?
If you have Android 7 (Marshmallow) it lets you block individual services. I actually trust this version of Android because of the amount of control you have. You can easily disable/enable access to the microphone as you wish.

that is nice but still an illusion of privacy.
these companies know if its you that is buying a product on amazon by the angle in which your holding your phone.
they know post or how long you watch an add they let advertizer know. they know more about us then we know about ourselves.

i'm starting to question if linux is really secure

When my oldest son [Linus Torvalds] was asked the same question: “Has he been approached by the NSA about backdoors?” he said “No”, but at the same time he nodded. Then he was sort of in the legal free. He had given the right answer, [but] everybody understood that the NSA had approached him

he is the founder of linux
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nils_Torvalds

i'm not conpisaritoral i'm just very pissed. 

https://www.theverge.com/2017/9/7/16265906/ultrasound-hack-siri-alexa-google
security is a joke. and not a top priority.

if your site started data mining it would try to sell me some sort of privacy apps

Google's CEO Eric Schmidt declared: "If you have something that you don't want anyone to know, maybe you shouldn't be doing it in the first place.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Privacy_concerns_regarding_Google

"The practical result of the change is that the DoubleClick ads that follow people around on the web may now be customized to them based on your name and other information Google knows about you. It also means that Google could now, if it wished to, build a complete portrait of a user by name, based on everything they write in email, every website they visit and the searches they conduct."

The correspondence suggests a close relationship between the NSA and Google before former NSA contractor Edward Snowden ever leaked documents detailing the agency’s online spying efforts. One of the two email chains describe a meeting between the NSA director and Google executives near an airport in San Jose, Calif.

“When we reach this point in our projects we schedule a classified briefing for the CEO’s of key companies to provide them a brief on the specific threats we believe can be mitigated and to seek their commitment for their organization to move ahead,” Alexander wrote in June 2012 email to Schmidt. “Google’s participation in refinement, engineering and deployment of the solutions will be essential.”

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/05/06/nsa-google_n_5273437.html

the CIA-assisted technology probably most familiar to you is one many of us use on a regular basis:  Google Earth. In February 2003, the CIA-funded venture-capitalist firm In-Q-Tel made a strategic investment in Keyhole, Inc.

https://www.cia.gov/about-cia/cia-museum/experience-the-collection/text-version/stories/cias-impact-on-technology.html

Offline jdaniele

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2017, 09:59:36 PM »

that is nice but still an illusion of privacy.
these companies know if its you that is buying a product on amazon by the angle in which your holding your phone.
they know post or how long you watch an add they let advertizer know. they know more about us then we know about ourselves.

i'm starting to question if linux is really secure

When my oldest son [Linus Torvalds] was asked the same question: “Has he been approached by the NSA about backdoors?” he said “No”, but at the same time he nodded. Then he was sort of in the legal free. He had given the right answer, [but] everybody understood that the NSA had approached him

he is the founder of linux
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nils_Torvalds

i'm not conpisaritoral i'm just very pissed. 

https://www.theverge.com/2017/9/7/16265906/ultrasound-hack-siri-alexa-google
security is a joke. and not a top priority.

if your site started data mining it would try to sell me some sort of privacy apps

Google's CEO Eric Schmidt declared: "If you have something that you don't want anyone to know, maybe you shouldn't be doing it in the first place.

"The practical result of the change is that the DoubleClick ads that follow people around on the web may now be customized to them based on your name and other information Google knows about you. It also means that Google could now, if it wished to, build a complete portrait of a user by name, based on everything they write in email, every website they visit and the searches they conduct."

The correspondence suggests a close relationship between the NSA and Google before former NSA contractor Edward Snowden ever leaked documents detailing the agency’s online spying efforts. One of the two email chains describe a meeting between the NSA director and Google executives near an airport in San Jose, Calif.

“When we reach this point in our projects we schedule a classified briefing for the CEO’s of key companies to provide them a brief on the specific threats we believe can be mitigated and to seek their commitment for their organization to move ahead,” Alexander wrote in June 2012 email to Schmidt. “Google’s participation in refinement, engineering and deployment of the solutions will be essential.”

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/05/06/nsa-google_n_5273437.html

the CIA-assisted technology probably most familiar to you is one many of us use on a regular basis:  Google Earth. In February 2003, the CIA-funded venture-capitalist firm In-Q-Tel made a strategic investment in Keyhole, Inc.

https://www.cia.gov/about-cia/cia-museum/experience-the-collection/text-version/stories/cias-impact-on-technology.html
Oh I see.. yea that thought comes to my mind a lot actually. I thought I might be the only one. I guess I allow myself to believe even though without truly knowing one or the other it means I'm excepting a fantasy of security. As for just simple data mining mining, I honestly don't care because I like the idea of human habits being studied. Its the idea of more personal data being stored and accessible. Now I am aware that information can be secured but the more security you want, the more it costs. Time, attention, and money are huge factors. This forum alone isn't super secure. No SSL, unknown server location, unknown personnel controlling the firewalls. A lot to be aware of.

Security is something I really want to focus on as a profession but don't see a lot of growth in it. Keep in mind even though the OS might seem like an illusion there are some tech facts that can't be ignored and can be tested. Google is aware that a lot of techs use their stuff so I don't think they wouldn't give them options.

We have whole section for this topic if you want to talk more about it.
http://jdtechservices.xp3.biz/jdaniele/forums/index.php?topic=18.0

EDIT: Added link
« Last Edit: December 21, 2017, 10:03:02 PM by jdaniele »

Offline jdaniele

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2018, 07:43:26 AM »
So I'm pretty sure the iOS system handles SlingBox and Chromecast much better. I've tested this once and it worked almost flawlessly.

Offline jdaniele

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2018, 05:50:41 PM »
Possible related?

Known Issue: Slow Wi-Fi performance with Android and Chromecast built-in devices
https://support.google.com/googlehome/answer/7634752?hl=en&ref_topic=7071995

Known Issue: Slow Wi-Fi performance with Android and Chromecast built-in devices
We’re aware of an issue where Chromecast built-in devices may be affecting Wi-Fi network performance.

Summary of Issue
In certain situations, a bug in the Cast software on Android phones may incorrectly send a large amount of network traffic which can slow down or temporarily impact Wi-Fi networks. The specific impact to the network will vary depending on the router.

Who is impacted?
People with an Android phone and a Chromecast built-in device (such as a Chromecast or Google Home device) on the same Wi-Fi network may experience this issue.

Solution and next steps
The team has identified the issue and is actively releasing a fix, which will start rolling out via a Google Play services update this Thursday, January 18.

ln the meantime, try rebooting your Android phone, and check that your Wi-Fi router is running the most recent firmware version.

Free Web Hosting